Rules & Regulations
Below is a list of rules and regulations that apply to the VSTC Shuttle and Mount Vernon Express. A driver or manager may ask you to alter your behavior to adhere to these rules and policies. Failure to do so can result in a patron not being allowed to ride the shuttle.
- Covid-19 norms to be followed at all times.
- Wear a mask properly at all times.
- Covid-19 norms as mentioned by CDC, to be followed at all times.
- Show GWorld identification when boarding VSTC Shuttle.
- Shuttles leave on schedule & not when at capacity. In case you wonder why a shuttle doesn't leave when it's full, please know most students prefer we adhere to the schedule so as to avoid confusion with "missing" shuttles/schedules.
- Yield seating to those who require a seat due to age or physical challenges.
- Only service animals as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act and accompanied by a patron are allowed. Please review Service Animal Policy for Transportation Services for additional information.
- Standing is not permitted on VSTC shuttles.
- The Mount Vernon Express has a standing policy (shown below) which must be adhered.
- Wait only at designated GW shuttle stops.
- Shuttles will not stop at undesignated locations.
- Do not signal the driver by standing in the path of or touching a moving bus.
- Please do not impede passengers of others boarding or exiting the vehicle – keep aisles and door entrances clear.
- Do not prevent the closing of doors.
- Do not distract the driver while he/she is operating the vehicle or interfere in a manner that impacts the driver’s control (e.g., talking loudly on cell phone or unnecessary conversation with the driver).
- Be courteous! Intrusive or loud use of profanity/obscenities or other disorderly conduct including threatening or harassing behavior will not be tolerated.
- Please use headphones while listening to music.
- Do not place personal items on seats during peak travel times so that maximum number of riders can board the shuttle.
- Ensure hands, arms, head or personal belongings are inside the vehicle while in motion.
- Food and drinks must be in a sealed container and bagged for the duration of the ride.
- Bicycles are permitted when using the bicycle racks on the front of the shuttle. If the racks are full, wait for the next shuttle. Make sure to inform the chauffeur before exiting that you will be removing the bicycle from the rack in front of the shuttle.
- Alcohol and smoking are not permitted in any form including (but not limited to) e-cigarettes, vapor devices, pipes, or cigars.
- Students who make a substantial mess (including vomit) will be charged a $250 cleaning cost and reported to the Office of Students Rights & Responsibilities.
- Any items left on the shuttle will be transferred to Lost & Found in Support Building, 2025 F St NW, Suite 101. If the item is located while the shuttle is on the Mount Vernon Campus. it will be turned into GWPD in Ames Hall before it is brought to Foggy Bottom (usually after 10PM). For more information, click here or contact GWPD at 202-242-6110.
Standing Policy for the Mount Vernon Express
Standing may be denied for any of these reasons during times when it may be unsafe to stand including:
- Inclement weather
- Heavy traffic
- Advertised special events
- If you have ANY food/beverage (even if the container is closed).
- If you cannot stand for longer than typical 15 minute travel time since there are often unforeseen or sudden changes in traffic.
- If you are unable to maintain contact with vehicle safety apparatus (grab rail or strap) or appears incoherent/inebriated.
- If you are not wearing proper shoes.