GW Safe Ride
Student Safe Ride Service
GW Safe Ride provides a free and safe ride to/from Foggy Bottom Campus residence halls and academic buildings during late-night hours for students, faculty and staff who prefer not to walk alone. This safe ride service operates seven days a week (Sunday - Saturday) from 7 p.m. until 4 a.m.. GW Safe Ride operates during the academic year except on designated university holidays. Students seeking transport for "convenience" or who would like to travel outside of the GW campus service area should use local transport services such as Metro, Uber, or Lyft.
How to Request a GW Safe Ride
Students can use the GW Safe Ride app to request a ride. Similar to ride-sharing apps, GW Safe Ride allows students to see their driver’s ETA and the estimated time of drop off. The GW Safe Ride vehicles are also identifiable by GW-branded wrap.
You can reserve a ride in two ways:
Call (202) 994-RIDE (7433) between 7 p.m. - 4 a.m.
During other hours, the GW Guardian app offers an additional layer of security. Free to the GW Community, this personal safety app enables users on and off campus to, among other features, set a Safety Timer and assign a virtual Guardian to monitor your safety late at night or while traveling.
GW Safe Ride Service Area on Foggy Bottom Campus
East/West: 17th Street to 25th Street
North/South: E Street/Virginia Ave to M Street
GW Buildings (Map Locations):
- You are required to show GWorld identification to the driver.
- Be respectful to the drivers, other passengers and the vehicle at all times.
- Do not leave any garbage and ensure you have all possessions before exiting (especially keys and cell phone).
- Food and drink must be in a sealed container and/or bagged throughout the ride.
- Students who make a substantial mess (including vomit) will be charged a $200 cleaning cost and be reported to the Office of Students Rights & Responsibilities.